Tuesday, March 17, 2009

TWD - Yoghurt cake with marmalade glaze


Woohoo, it's Tuesday with Dorie time again! This week, our host is Liliana of My Cookbook Addiction, who has chosen yet another winner - Yoghurt Cake with Marmalade Glaze.

Dorie describes this cake as a cross between a pound cake and a sponge cake, but it is ever so much tastier than either of them - it is somehow light and fluffy while being quite a solid cake. When this cake came out of the oven, I was rather unexcited, because it looks extremely plain. However, just like a caterpillar turns into a butterfly, this cake bursts forth with bright, tangy flavour - I loved it!

My version of the cake used orange zest and orange marmalade (instead of the lemon zest and lemon marmalade suggested by Dorie). By rubbing the zest into the sugar, it really brings out the citrus flavour. My cake is especially orange because I used carotina oil which consists of half red palm oil and half canola oil, and is therefore orange in colour.

The other great thing about this cake is that it is a lazy cook's dream - it only uses one bowl, and is all hand mixed. I have been a bit off baking lately, so the ease of making this cake was a welcome relief. Just make sure you grease your pan well - I had an anxious half an hour or so when my cake stuck steadfastly in the bottom of the tin. However, a little patience, a damp cloth and some coaxing finally released it safely.

If you only make one Dorie recipe this year, make this one (recipe on Liliana's blog). To check out how the other TWD membes interpreted this recipe, please check out the TWD blogroll.



24 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

Have you ever seen a show called Futurama? There's this character that's always going "Oh, Marmalade!" This has nothing to do with your tasty cake, but I had to share.

Anonymous said...

The orange substitution sounds delicious. I loved the ease of this cake.

Marthe said...

your cake looks lovely, I liked this one too!

Tammy said...

I loved this cake as well. And I also loved how it was so easy to make!

Anonymous said...

Mmm love the idea of this and a cross between a sponge and a pound cake? I'm sold!

A_and_N said...

I concur with the Blonde Duck....even i remembered the same thing! The cake looks delicious b.t.w :)

Cakelaw said...

Hi Duckie, I know of the show, but not enough to know that. Perfect for this cake!

Hi Pinkstripes, I think this is one of Dorie's best recipes on ease of making alone.

Hi Marthe, isn't is delicious!

Hi Tammy, when measuring effort vs result, this cake gives a big bang for your buck.

Hi Lorraine, you will also love how easy it is - and very little washing up!

Thanks A&N ;)

Hindy said...

Your cake looks beautiful. I'll have to try orange flavour next time.

Amanda said...

Wow love the orange!! I LOVED this cake, it smelled so good while cooking and tasted wonderful :) I paired it with simple lemon curd. YUM!

spike. said...

I agree, what a great recipe! Your version sounds perfect

Jayne said...

I agree - it's a terrific cake all around. The orange instead of lemon sounds delicious!

♥Rosie♥ said...

Oh I do love a good Marmalade cake and this one sounds & looks wonderful!

chocolatechic said...

Your texture is just perfect.

Jennifer said...

Very nicely done! You made a beautiful cake!

Banjo said...

I will have to try it orange sometime! Looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Yes, this cake was DELICIOUS! I love your orange addition!

Anonymous said...

Cake looks very lemony.... and very moist! This was just a simple cake to make wasn't it? Yours looks fantastic - nicely done!

Ivy said...

The cake sounds delicious and quite simple to make and I still have some lemon marmalade to use.

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Clivia - I did like the orange, and when I find lemon marmalade, I will try the lemon version.

Lemon curd with this cake would be perfect with this cake Amanda - yum!

So agreed Spike - and thanks!

Hi Jayne, I am thinking that any citrus fruit would be sooooo good in this cake.

Hi Rosie, I have printed off your marmalde cake, and will try it soon.

Thanks Tanya :)

Thanks Jennifer - I was pleasantly surprised at just how good this was.

Hi Banjo, and I have to try the lemon version!

Thanks Teanna - it is a very good recipe.

Thanks Mike - this cake was a beauty.

Hi Ivy - it is a goodie - Liliana will have the recipe.

Peggy said...

I think the orange zest and orange marmalade sound fabulous! Great job on your cake. We loved this cake and I will definitely be making it again.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Peggy, it was good, wasn't it. I can see this being a regular at my place.

Unknown said...

I have never heard of Carotina oil. I will have to check it out one day! Lovely take on the cake. I love orange flavor!

Engineer Baker said...

Yes, definitely a lazy (or stressed) cook's dream - I loved that I didn't need more than one bowl! Using all orange sounds wonderful; it gets around the difficulty of finding lemon marmalade quite nicely. Beautiful job!

Liliana said...

I like the colour of your cake! It must have been delicious. I also used orange zest and orange marmalade! I am glad you liked the recipe. Thanks for stoping by.