Tuesday, March 10, 2009

TWD - Lemon Cup Custard


Hey there sports fans, bet you were starting to think that I wouldn't make TWD this week. Ha! I have left it to very close to the deadline, but there's nothing like a little adrenaline to give a girl a natural high.

Our host this week is Bridget of The Way the Cookie Crumbles, and she has chosen Dorie's Lemon Cup Custard. Because I left this so late, I had the benefit of reading everyone else's comments on the P&Q, and of seeing some actual posts, and I was kinda unethused after reading them. A lot of people did not like this because it is, at its heart, a baked egg custard. I remember my Mum's baked custard, which was not my favourite thing - it was generally bland, lumpy and curdled looking.

However, because I was only making custard for one (therefore a quarter of all of the ingredients), I felt that I did not have much to lose in giving it a burl - and I am so glad that I did! Perhaps I am an odd bod, because I wasn't enthused by the Caramel Crunch Bars, which most people loved, but I really enjoyed this - which most people either did not like or were pretty luke-warm about. But hey, that's the joy of having a diverse group of like-minded people with different tastes and interpretations of the same recipe, and is one of the things that makes TWD fun.

I made the recipe straight down the line, with no extra lemon oil, so it was only very faintly lemony, and I used skim milk ('cause that is the only type I have). And I still loved it!! It is oh so smooth and melt in the mouth. Sure, it's an egg custard, but I did not find it overbearingly eggy (cf the Floating Islands), and there was no unpleasant eggy aftertaste. My custard behaved itself in a very lady-like fashion in the oven, setting up nicely within the the alotted time in the recipe.

Would I make this again? Sure - and it's actually less fussy than making pouring custard, which requires the devotion of substantial time in continuously stirring until it thickens, while this pretty much looks after itself.

Thanks to Bridget for being our host this week. You can check out how the other TWDers went with Lemon Cup Custard by checking out the TWD blogroll.




25 comments:

Pamela said...

It looks really pretty, actually. Glad you liked it!

natalia said...

Ciao ! I can't believe you were late !!! I'm glad you liked the custard ! It was too mild for me !!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you liked it! I might have overcooked mine a bit, but it sounds like you got yours just right.

Cathy said...

I am so glad to read a positive review of the custard! You are absolutely right -- part of what makes TWD fun is that different people will enjoy different things. This was not my favorite, but I am glad that I tried it. Yours looks so smooth and pretty!

Anonymous said...

Looks VERY lemony! I agree - it was so easy to make, I would definitely make it again. Delicious, was it not! Nicely done!

A_and_N said...

We love custards. But we usually buy the dry mix from Brownson and Polson. Never tried making one at home. I guess it time to give it a burl :)

chocolatechic said...

Looks wonderful.

Great job.

spike. said...

I quartered the recipe too! Glad you ended up liking it

jesse said...

o0o that last picture looks so delicious!! I love your description of the custard... "behaved itself in a ladylike fashion"... hahaha! Great post!

Ivette said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one.. I did too. It was easy to make.. consisted of basic ingredients and I liked the taste of it.

Anonymous said...

Your custard looks great. I'm glad it was a success for you.

Gloria Baker said...

I love lemon custard and this look so tasty and yummy!! xxxGloria

Unknown said...

it does look smooth and beautiful. i havent tried making custard before...but this might be great to fill some mini tartlets (just idea and no execution = nothing, rita) lol

Tammy said...

pleased you liked it. Mine was nowhere near as nice as normal custard, but maybe I overcooked it?

Anonymous said...

I loved these too! I'm so glad you liked this!!! It looks great!

Teanna DiMicco said...

I loved these too! I am so glad that you liked it! It looks good!

TeaLady said...

Glad there were others that actually liked it like I did. The lemon was subtle, but I like subtle. Yours looks just right.

Unknown said...

awwww that looks so creamy and smooth!! my kind of desserts!!

♥Rosie♥ said...

I just adore lemon and in custard even better - wow it really does look so good!

Rosie x

Ivy said...

I love anything with lemon in it so this is right up my alley.

Astra Libris said...

Such a beautiful, elegant custard! It looks especially pretty next to your lovely flowers!

Engineer Baker said...

I'm glad you were such a fan - I'm with you 100%, I loved this and was "eh" on the caramel crunch bars. Funny, huh? Beautiful!

Cakelaw said...

I have been a bad blogger, but I'm back! Thanks guys for all your lovely comments.

Thanks Pamela - it was good.

Hi Natalia, I think it would be lovely with more lemon or orange.

Hi Bridget, thanks for picking this - I loved it.

Hi Cathy, that's right - and I am often pleasantly surprised by things that I would otherwise never try.

Mike, I am with you - it was so good.

Hi A & N, believe me, until I joined all these baking groups, I got out my Foster Clarks powder to make custard.

Thanks Tanya :)

Hi Spike, a quarter was a perfect serve for one.

LOL, glad you liked it Jesse.

Hi Ivette, I liked the fact that it was rather fuss free - I am in a fuss free space at the moment.

Thanks Pinkstripes, I figure some of these recipes have to work for me sometimes ;)

Thanks Gloria :)

Hi Rit, I love the idea of mini tarts - mmm

Hi Tammy, who knows - I was not expectong much from this because I had read the P&Q, and I left it til the last minute, but it was so good!

Hi Anon, glad to hear that yours went well too.

Thanks Teanna, this one is a keeper.

Hi Tealady, yes, I liked the subtlety of it too.

Hi Arfi, I can make some for you 2 next time ;)

Hi Rosie, it is very simple to make - you'd love it.

Hi Ivy, it is a very subtle lemon, but you could ramp it up by using more lemon.

Thanks Astrid :)

Hi Caitlin, I know - diversity makes the world go round.

Anonymous said...

Yum a lemon custard. I don't think I've ever tried that. I love lemon flavoured sweets so I really should make this one :)

Cakelaw said...

Hi Lorraine, if you like subtly flavoured baked custard, this one is delish.