Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Chocolate and Pear Cake



Way back in January, I saw this scrumptious looking chocolate and pear cake on Smitten Kitten, and I printed off the recipe. With the best intentions in the world, it is only now that I have gotten around to making it, by virtue of having some lovely ripe pears left over from lunches in my fridge.

I never read the comments at the end of a recipe before trying it myself, for fear it will put me off. Once again, I am glad that I didn't read those comments until after I had made my cake, because a number of people had problems with making it.

I found this cake very easy to make. The only possible issue I had is that most of my chocolate chunks and pear cubes sank to the bottom of the cake during baking, even though they are sprinkled on top just before baking and not mixed in - hardly a problem, really!



This cake is just delightful - the browned butter, fruit and chocolate combine to create a taste sensation. The cake is also lovely and high, so it is attractive without further adornment. I would make it again in a heartbeat, and thank Smitten Kitten (Deb) for persisting for a year and a half to obtain this recipe from Anna, a pastry chef at Al Di La Trattoria, where she first tasted the cake. Yum!

13 comments:

Finla said...

Wow that is a perfectly bake cake.

adele said...

Mmm. I'm reminded that I have a recipe for a pear, chocolate, and burnt butter tart somewhere. I should dig it up and see about trying it. :)

Gloria Baker said...

This look wonderful Cake and Law, really wonderful!! xxGloria

Cathy said...

This sounds really delicious. That chocolate and pear combo has to be irresistible. And if Deb persisted for a year and a half to get the recipe, it must be outstanding! It's on the list!

The Blonde Duck said...

It looks tasty! A year and a half? She was persistant!

Sara said...

What a beautiful looking cake! I don't think I've ever had chocolate with pear, but I can see how it would be a great flavor combination.

Mermaid Sews said...

Thank looks great - I love smitten kitchen too - have devoured the blog, but missed this one - not anymore!

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love pear and chocolate together but have never seen them in a cake, only a tart-great idea!

A_and_N said...

Never thought of pear and chocolate!

breadchick said...

I love this type of cake. This one is going on the "marked to be made" list.

Elyse said...

Oh, this cake looks totally fabulous. I love the idea of a moist and tender cake with pear and chocolate. A perfect combination of flavors and textures! I'm so glad I found your blog. Everything looks so yummy!! Can't wait to read more posts!

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Happy Cook - this one is easy to make.

Adele, that sounds scrumptious - do!


Thanks Gloria.

Hi Cathy, that's what I figured - if it wasn't really good, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Duckie, she was!

Thanks Sara. They are perfect together - think pears and chocolate sauce.

Hi Lorelei, SK does come up with some fantastic recipes.

Hi Lorraine, this is a delicious cake - chocolatey, yes, but not overly sweet.

Hi A&N, I wouldn't have either - but it sure is good.

Hi Mary, you won't regret it, and the list of ingredients is relatively short too.

Hi Elyse, thanks for dropping by :). I was very happy with this cake.

Maria said...

What a lovely cake!