Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Chicken and vegetable curry


Regular readers of this blog will know that I love a good curry. I found another curry to try in my Weight Watchers Heavenly D'Lites cookbook that I adapted to match the ingredients that I had in the house. My curry is rather vibrant because I used red curry paste instead of the green curry paste called for by the original recipe, but it sure tasted good. You can of course play with the amount and type of curry paste that you use to suit your taste, and add different vegetables or meats, depending on what you have in the house. That is the beauty of a dish like this - it is the idea rather than the science that is important.

In my version of the curry, I used:

1/2 cup plain flour
300g chicken breasts, thinly sliced
3 potatoes, cubed
1 green capcsicum, chopped
1/2 cauliflower, chopped
2 crushed cloves garlic
2 tablespoons curry paste (I used Tom Yum)
800g canned crushed tomatoes
400ml can light coconut milk
30g flaked almonds


Put the chicken and vegetables in a large bowl and toss with the flour to coat.

Spray a large frypan with cooking oil, and cook the garlic and curry paste until the garlic is soft. Stir through the chicken and vegetables, and cook until the chicken starts to brown.

Add the tinned tomatoes and coconut milk to the frypan, stir through, and cover the frypan, turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are soft. Sprinkle the curry with the flaked almonds, and serve with steamed rice. Serves 4-5.

Yum!





8 comments:

Ivy said...

Your curry sounds great and is perfect for your kind of weather.

Gloria Baker said...

Love this curry I want to try! xxGloria

Susan @ SGCC said...

Your curry looks delicious! Well done! I love all kinds of curries too. Coincidentally, I made a chicken curry for dinner tonight.

Unknown said...

oh yes curry! hey, tell you what? i went to an indian shop in pukekohe yesterday and it grows big! i mean big is that it's full of new things now. all of those lovely indian spices, you name it! they're all there. i felt like in bollywood! so lucky!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

There is something so appealing and satisfying about a good curry. And this one is making me hungry for dinner!

giz said...

I really need to get myself together on curries. I always say how much I love them when I eat them and then it's months and months before I even try one again.

adele said...

I'm a big fan of idea-rather-than-science recipes. (Note that molecular gastronomy will probably never come out of my kitchen.)

I'm supposed to go grocery shopping tomorrow, so maybe I'll get curry paste and coconut milk and actually make my own curry rather than paying someone else to make it for me. :)

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Ivy.

Hi Gloria, would love to hear how you go if you do.

Hi Susan, great minds think alike!

Hi Arfi, lucky you! I think that Queen Vic markets would be my nearest spice nirvana, and I am too lazy to go there so just make do with what I can find at the supermarket.

Hi Susan, thanks - hope your dinner was good.

Hi Giz, the number of things that I want to try and just don't get there is a mile long - I am on a curry roll at the moment.

Hi Adele, I'm with you - it's fun to take a basic concept and experiment.