Sunday, September 7, 2008

Apple crump


Recently, I attended an IPSANZ dinner on the interesting topic of brand management in the alcohol industry, with the guest speaker being the head of the intellectual property group at Fosters. I sat next to a lovely couple, Michael and Elizabeth, who have their own intellectual property law firm.

All work and no play makes for a dull conversation, so our discussions turned to one of my favourite topics - food! Michael and Elizabeth mentioned an ITV show called Britain's Best Dish that they had seen on pay TV, and picked out a dish called the Bramley Apple Crump for special mention. They had made the crump, and apart from being dead easy to make, they thought it was delicious, and so did everyone else that they told about the recipe who made it.

Now I am a fan of fruity baked goods, so I couldn't resist trying out the Apple Crump myself after this recommendation. The results are pictured at the top of this post. The crump is effectively baked, sliced apples topped with a biscuity crust. It is rather buttery and sugary, so while it tasted fine, for my own part, I think I'll stick with apple crumble.

But don't take my word for it - this recipe was the most popular dessert from Britain's Best Dish, even though it did not win the dessert prize. It is also very easy to make, and looks after itself in the oven for about 40 minutes, so it could be just what you are looking for.

The crump recipe, which I have linked to above, comes with a recipe for vanilla custard to serve with it. If you make Apple Crump, I'd love to hear how it turns out.





12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of the word crump. I'll have to ask my bloke about it. Sounds like it would be a great thing in my house and of course I'd top it with Bird's custard :)

Gloria Baker said...

Dear this look yummy,yummy, rico rico xxxGoria

adele said...

Probably not my cup of tea (I like my desserts rich but not too sweet), but I have a friend who loves apple desserts, and she might visit Boston soon.

Tammy said...

Cakelaw, I wonder if you have seen this re: copyright and what your thoughts are?

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2008/09/05/acp-takes-the-fun-out-of-food-blogging/

Tammy

Astra Libris said...

ooooh, this looks delicious - especially with the glorious custard spooned on top! Heavenly!

The Caked Crusader said...

I love anything with apples - this looks lovely

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Nevr ever heard of crump till now. It looks quite nice though, but I think I'll stick to crumble like you said. Not too keen on biscuit dough.

Dee said...

Love how much I learn when I blog hop. Never heard of a crump, would probably prefer a crumble, but apples on biscuit crust can't be far behind. I have some macadamia brittle ice cream that would be fabulous with this. Swap ya?

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

hey, i have to make it, looks quite delicious and is very healthy, too, isnt it !

A_and_N said...

Looks really delicious! I am not sure if I can find the Bramley Apples, but I'd sure love to give these a try!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Maryann, your bloke might know about it. Birds custard on it would be scrummy.

Thanks Gloria - a big helping for you.

Hi Adele, this is quite sweet and sugary - I am sure that the sugar could be toned down quite a bit without ill effect.

Hi Tammy, I haven't seen it but will take a look.

Thanks Astrid ;)

Hi Crusader, it was good - but I am a stickler for old-fashioned apple crumble.

Hi Aparna, not something I'd ever heard of before either, but was facsinated. They have a couple of other interesting sounding dishes like tiddy oggy" (which is a pasty).

Hi Dee, it's a deal!

Hi Anamika, the apples give it some health benefit - gotta love fruit desserts.

Hi A & N, you can use any apples you like - I think I used pink lady because that is what I had. (We don't get Bramley apples either.)

Rosie said...

Oh wow this is certainly a wonderful dessert - one I must try out!!

Rosie x