Saturday, July 19, 2008

SHF - Berries - Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping

This month, Susan from Food Blogga is hosting Sugar High Friday, created by Jennifer, The Domestic Goddess. Susan's theme centres around one of my favourite ingredients - berries! Most fresh berries are not in season in Australia, it being the middle of a bitter, cold winter in the southern states; however, I froze quite a few punnets of berries while they were plentiful and cheap during the summer.


About 12 months ago, my "sending" Blogging by Mail buddy was Katie B of
Other People's Food. In my BBM package, Katie enclosed her favourite blueberry muffin recipe, extracted from Food & Wine Magazine in February 2007. She says that her husband loves these muffins, even though he hates fruit muffins. I figured if you can convince a fruit muffin hating fella to eat these muffins, they must be good, and I have always meant to try them. Sadly, until now, I just never got around to it. However, with my last punnet of blueberries in the freezer, I decided to make Katie's blueberry muffins for SHF. Here are the results:


These muffins have a lovely golden crumb topping encasing the fluffy blueberry part underneath - however, I had some kamikaze blueberries try and escape through the top of the muffins during the cooking process :) They do taste very good, especially served warm - mmm, mmm. Thanks for the recipe Katie!




If you would like to try out Katie's blueberry muffins, you will need:

Crumb topping

1 cup plain flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
6 tablespoons melted butter

Muffins

1 3/4 cups plain flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups blueberries

Preheat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake liners.

To make the crumb topping, combine all of the topping ingredients in a bowl and pinch to form pea-size clumps.

To make the muffins, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the sugar, eggs and canola oil, then beat in the milk and vanilla. Finally, beat in the flour mixture on low speed until just combined. Stir the blueberries through the batter with a wooden spoon, then divide the batter among the muffin tin holes (fill no more than 3/4 full). Sprinkle the crumb topping over each muffin, and bake the muffins for 30 minutes or until cooked. Allow the muffins to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes before turning out to cool completely.

Serve on their own, or with cream or icecream - delicious!

Thanks to Susan for being this month's emergency SHF host, and I look forward to the roundup.

15 comments:

Mary said...

Those do look delicious! And how smart to freeze up the blueberries while you have them!

Lore said...

These muffins look like a perfect good morning treet! LOL at your kamikaze berries :)
Love this SHF's theme, I'll have to remember and participate.

Anonymous said...

Blueberry muffins are such a classic... and yours are great-looking!

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

hi cakelaw
the berries and the crumb toppings have come out well and must be good to taste..thanks for sharing the recipe.

Swati said...

Gorgeous muffins.. they really look awesome!!

Ivy said...

They look great but I have a query: what's the difference between muffin and cupcake?

Cakelaw said...

LOL Ivy - I'm glad you asked. I just bought Gail Wagman's Cupcakes Galore, and in the introduction, she says that a muffin is a quick bread rather than a cake, and while cupcakes are generally iced or otherwise decorated, muffins usually aren't. Hope that helps! (I find it confusing too.)

Katie said...

Those look wonderful! I love muffins, especially when they have lots of fruit in them.

Great blog!

Dee said...

This would have been perfect for this morning's breakfast - wish I'd spotted it earlier :(

Katie B. said...

Hahahaha - I have these in the oven RIGHT NOW!!! I am so glad you enjoyed them - they are a bit of a mess, jumping ship and all (and if it isn't the blueberrys, it's the crumb topping!)

Maggie said...

The blueberries in my garden are just starting to ripen and this would be another blueberry muffin recipe to try - especially as they look so good.

giz said...

I've never met a blueberry muffin that I didn't love. This one looks like it would be up there on my list too.

The Caked Crusader said...

How gorgeous do those muffins look sitting in their baking tray? Answer: very!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

These sound (and look) so much better than the soy protein shake I just downed. Also glad to see that i'm not the only one who deals with rascally berries swimming to the top! Thanks for the yummy entry to SHF!

A_and_N said...

The crumb topping makes the muffins extra-scrumptious indeed! They look mouthwatering :)