Thursday, July 3, 2008

Prune & Pumpkin Cake


I am always looking for new things to make for my morning tea. Recently, I spotted a recipe for a prune and pumpkin cake here on Vicious Ange's site.

When I printed off the recipe, two of my colleagues saw it on the printer and asked me NOT to make it. However, I made it for myself, and boy is it good! It is lovely and sweet and dense because of the mashed pumpkin, and the prunes give it that extra "oomph". I love it.

My only tip is to ensure that you allow the cake to cool fully before eating it. I cut off a slice while the cake was still warm (primarily for photography purposes), and at that stage, the cake tasted like mashed pumpkin and nothing else. However, allow it to cool, and it takes on a life all of its own - the flavours somehow meld and the cake is just gorgeous.

Thanks for the recipe Ange!



8 comments:

Chef Jeena said...

Looks loevely. :-)

Peter M said...

Cake, the 1st photo captured it really well...nice use of prunes.

Silvia - Magnolia Wedding Planner said...

Good morning honey!! this cake is just the perfect solution for my hungriness now!! :-D good job indeed!!
have a fantastic day darling and I send you a big kiss!
Silvia

Ivy said...

This is the first time I see pumpkin and prunes in a cake. Sounds very interesting. If I were your colleague I wouldn't say No....

cupcaketastic said...

This looks good, and you could tell yourself its healthy.

The Caked Crusader said...

I love prunes in cakes! This looks lovely although I've never used pumpkin before so am not too sure what it tastes like.

Thistlemoon said...

That sounds right up my alley! And I have some pumpkin in the cabinet!

Unknown said...

next time i confused how to use prunes up, i'll search for this recipe. this looks great, Gaye!