Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Ginger biscuits with lemon icing


Bill Granger is one of my favourite chefs. Unfortunately, I don't have pay TV, so I can't see his show. However, I adore Bill's books, of which I now own three. His style of cooking is generally light and flavoursome, with a distinct Asian influence in many of his dishes.

Bill's latest book is Holiday. His recipes are divided into dishes suitable for a number of different holiday seasons.

I chose to make Bill's ginger biscuits with lemon icing for work, which is aptly taken from the Harvest chapter of Holiday, as it is autumn in the Antipodes. These little biscuits are gingery shortbread-style biscuits studded with crystallised ginger as well as containing ground ginger, and are complemented by a lemon icing. The recipe doesn't make a very big batch, so if you are feeding a crowd, I recommend doubling the recipe. These biscuits taste very pleasant, and are relatively small and light, so you can have a couple of these with your morning coffee without spoiling your appetite.

To make these biscuits, you will need:

2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/3 cup icing sugar
1/3 cup finely chopped crystallised ginger
200g melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

Sift the dry ingredients together into a mixing bowl, and stir through the crystallised ginger. pour in the butter and vanilla and mix into a dough. Place tablespoons of dough on baking trays lined with baking paper, and flatten the biscuits lightly with a fork. Place them in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes, then cool the biscuits on a wire rack.

To ice the cooled biscuits, mix one cup of icing sugar with enough lemon juice to make an icing of piping or drizzling consistency. Pipe or drizzle the icing onto the biscuits. Enjoy with your morning coffee.
I have been honoured by being given the Arte y Pico Award by Rosie of Rosie Bakes a Peace of Cake:



Thanks Rosie!


The rules behind this award are as follows:


1. Pick five blogs that you consider deserve this award for their creativity, design, interesting material, and also contribute to the blogging community, no matter what language.


2. Each award has to have the name of the author and also a link to his or her blog.


3. Each award winner has to show the award and put the name and the link to the blog that has given her or him the award.


4. Award-winner and the one who has given the award have to show the link of
Arte y Pico blog, so everyone will know the origin of this award.


5. Award winner must show these rules.


Without further ado, I hereby bestow the Arte y Pico award on the following members of the food blogging community:


Aran of
Canelle et Vanille


Rita of
Mochachocolata Rita


Y of
Lemonpi


Emiline of
Visions of a Sugar Plum


Laurie of
Mediterranean Cooking in Alaska


These are fantastic blogs - do drop by to visit them!

13 comments:

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

Thank you so much for the award. I am flattered you thought about me. And congrats on your award!

I have been seeing a lot of citrus recipes around. Great biscuits!

Swati said...

Congrats on your award..I have got another one waiting for you.:))

Silvia - Magnolia Wedding Planner said...

Wow congrats for the award which is really deserved :-D and great biscuits indeed :-P
Kiss
Silvia

Mary said...

I love ginger and lemon and I've totally bookmarked these to make in the future!

Laurie Constantino said...

Congrats on your award, you definitely deserve it! And thanks ever so for passing it on to me - I'm touched and honored. I can't wait to check out the other blogs you've highlighted.

Your cookies are wonderful - and the crystallized ginger is the perfect touch. Great recipe - I've added it to my list for Xmas possibilities.

Y said...

Oh, my first award! Thanks :)

I've never had the chance to watch Bill on TV either, but I quite like his recipes.

Tammy said...

Love the icing on your cookies!! I have Bill's book so will have to try that recipe out. And congratulations on your award!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the award! I am so honored!

PS. I lovee ginger biscuits and lemon icing sounds perfect for it! :)

Emily said...

Congrats on your award!! You're a great blogger. I can't keep up with you.

Thank you kindly for the award.

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Aran - your blog is truly beautiful and you deserve this award.


Thanks Swati - I will have to check it out.

Thanks so much Silvia.

Hi Mary, they are good, but I recimmend doubling the batch - you only get 20 small cookies.

Thanks Laurie - they would be great Christmas cookies.

Hi Y, you deserve it!

Thanks Tammy.

Hi Rita, I love your work! You deserve this award.

Hi Emiline, my pleasure - I adore your blog, and you always come up with inventive recipes.

Ivy said...

I remember ginger cookies from my childhood and never had them since. I am planning to make some and these just look perfect.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Ivy, would love to know how you go if you make them.

Rosie said...

firstly congrats once again on your award :)

I just love the combo of your cookies ginger and lemon icing mmmm

Rosie x