Friday, May 30, 2008

Beautiful Bones - Blackberry almond yoghurt cake



Susan from Food Blogga is hosting an event this month called Beautiful Bones to promote awareness of osteoporosis, in conjunction with the US National Osteoporosis Awareness Month. For this event, Susan has asked us to post about a calcium-rich recipe during the month of May.

Being a baker, I chose to make a Blackberry Almond Yoghurt Cake for my entry. The recipe is by Clotilde of Chocolate & Zucchini. I have stayed faithful to the original, except that I used blackberries rather than raspberries, and only used half the amount of berries. I laughed when I re-read Susan's rules about entering, in which she mentions calcium rich foods. I intended to use yoghurt and almonds for their calcium content, but until I checked out Susan's post, I had no idea that blackberries are also calcium rich - so I accidentally used three calcium rich foods in the one cake, simply because I didn't have raspberries but I did have blackberries in the freezer.

If you want to make your very own calcium rich blackberry almond yoghurt cake, you will need:

1 cup plain yoghurt
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
1/2 cup almond meal
3 eggs
1 tablespoon baking powder
150g blackberries (or double the quantity if you want to cover the surface of your cake)

Preheat your ovent to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease and flour a 9 inch round cake tin (I used an 8 inch square).

Combine the yoghurt, oil and sugar in a bowl using a wooden spoon. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and almonds, then stir into the egg mixture in 3-4 tranches.

Pour half of the batter into the prepared cake tin, and top it with half the blackberries, then repeat. Bake in the oven for approximately 50 minutes until cooked through when tested with a skewer. Remove the cake from the oven and cool for 10 minutes in the tin before unmoulding onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve as is, or with cream or icecream. Enjoy!

Thanks to Susan for hosting Beautiful Bones, and I look forward to the roundup of calcium rich recipes.

5 comments:

Silvia - Magnolia Wedding Planner said...

Dear! Good morning! I was looking for a tasty cake for my breakfast and here it is :-D found it!
Really fantastic thanks for the recipe and the event beautiful bones is genial! :-D
big kiss
Silvia

Susan @ SGCC said...

That looks like a great recipe. I really enjoy cakes made with yogurt. I'll bet the blackberries are terrific in it too!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Oh, I just love baked goods with fresh fruit. I just made a blackberry oatmeal cake(haven't posted it yet), and it was a hit, as I'm sure this cake is as well. I love the addition of the almond meal too since almonds and berries go so well together. Thanks for the delicious, calcium-rich entry!

giz said...

I just love the way the blackberries found their home on the cake and didn't really spread and kept their own identity. Fabulous.

Ivy said...

Perfect for Susan's event.