Thursday, May 29, 2008

Amy's birthday - Pink raspberry cake



Today is Amy's birthday. Amy is in my team at work, but as she only works two days a week (so that she can look after her lovely daughter), I brought in her birthday cake yesterday.

This cake is a white cake with raspberries through it. The recipe is from Rosie Bakes a Peace of Cake for her Shimmering Pink Cake. However, I decorated it using plain glace icing (effectively icing sugar and water), and stuck on some pre-made chocolate shapes that I had piped, and filled them in with jelly for a "stained glass" effect (the colours from which unfortunately leached just a bit into the surrounding glace icing). I also put a few drops of rosewater essence into the icing, which gave it a lovely musk flavour.


I didn't dye my cake pink - I thought that the raspberries made it pink enough.

Everyone liked this cake, and I was especially glad that the birthday girl herself approved.

Happy birthday Amy!

7 comments:

Mary said...

What a cute cake! Amy is a lucky birthday girl.

Unknown said...

It looks lovely, Gaye :) I wish I was the one who's got a birthday hehehe

Chibog in Chief said...

what a lovely cake!! amy is lucky to have a good friend like you :-)

Finla said...

Lucj amy getting a ckae liks this fir her b'day.
Happy b'day to AMY

Silvia - Magnolia Wedding Planner said...

She is really a lucky girl for having you as a friend! Your cake is stunning honey and I'm sure it was delicious! Well done dear!
I send you a kiss
Silvia

Susan @ SGCC said...

Lovely cake! Just what I'd like for my birthday. That cake decorating course is really paying off for you!

Ivy said...

I've said it before and will say it again that your colleagues and really fortunate to have you. This piece of cake looks so good and it's better that you didn't use food colouring because they have preservatives in them.