Saturday, April 26, 2008

Lemon custard coconut cake


One thing that always makes the daily grind of going to work a little easier is the prospect of a treat for morning or afternoon tea. At one of my workplaces, we used to have a roster for morning tea each Friday, where the two people rostered on brought in morning tea for everyone else. It was a great idea, but the system was often a little lopsided, because some people went to a great deal of effort (or at least, their wives on their behalf did!), while others forgot altogether, or simply handed their morning tea partner $20 to do it all for them.

I have always dabbled in a little bit of baking, but it is only in the last 3 years that I have really gotten into it, and I think that I would suffer withdrawal symptoms if I had to stop now. The work morning tea tradition gives me a great outlet to continue my baking without everything going to waste, and at the same time, it brings others pleasure (well, at least sometimes!).

This week, I baked the work crew a lemon custard coconut cake. The recipe came from one of the Australian women's magazines - I am not sure which one, as I had scrawled the recipe down on a piece of notepaper.

I had made this cake once before in "another life", and I had helpfully scribbled in pencil in the margin of the recipe that I needed to line the pan because this cake is a "sticker". I had also noted that it takes a good 20 minutes longer to bake than the recipe says and lo, it was true, even though I used a different oven this time. It was great to have a "helping hand" from the past to guide me through the traps.

This is a delicious cake, provided of course that you like lemon and coconut flavours. It is also dead easy to make (if you grease and line your pan!!!) because there is no creaming of butter and sugar etc - you literally plonk everything in, stir it up and you're away. The cake is a lovely yellow colour because it contains custard powder - hence the custard part of the cake. (There is no custard filling in it.)




To make it, you will need:

1 1/4 cups self raising flour
1/4 cup custard powder
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup dessicated cococnut
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 cup milk
120g melted butter
2 eggs

and for the icing:

1 1/4 cups icing sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
shredded coconut to decorate

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease and line the base of a 20cm round cake tin.

Sift the flour and custard powder together, then add the sugar, coconut and zest and combine. Add the butter, milk and eggs, and beat until smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin, and bake until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. (Both times, this cake took 55 minutes for me; the recipe says 35-40 minutes!).

Cool the cake in its tin for roughly 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to coool completely.

Once cool, make the icing by sifting the icing sugar and combining it with the juice and zest in a small heatproof bowl. Stir this mixture in the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until it is of a spreadable/pourable consistency, and spread over the top of the cake. (I found that there was only enough icing for the top, and that you have to work quickly, as this icing sets fast.) Decorate the top of the iced cake with shredded coconut. Enjoy!

9 comments:

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

That sounds delicious! I love when cakes are pudding-like. Lemon and coconut... yum!

Unknown said...

that looks lovely. i love lemon curd. our last year's lemons are growing bigger and i don't think they're as nice as the Sicilians.

Mary said...

The cake looks delicious! I love the combination of lemon and coconut!

Susan @ SGCC said...

This looks like a lovely cake! Lemon and coconut go so well together. What kind of custard powder are you referring to? I have a brand called Bird's that I got at a British tea shop. Is that the same kind?

Pixie said...

I'm always up for easy delicious cakes and I adore coconut and lemon together.

Silvia - Magnolia Wedding Planner said...

It looks delicious so thank you very much for the recipe. I've tons of bio lemons so I know how to use them now!!
Great
Silvia

Peter M said...

Oh, this would be so up my alley..simply coconut & citrus.

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Aran - I am with you!

Hi Arfi, your curd sounds delightful. I am envious of your wonderful garden.

Thanks Mary - a large slice for you!

Hi Susan, you are correct. There are lots of different brands of custard powder, and Birds is one of the most famous.

Hi Pixie, this cake is really easy to put together, so is great as an emergency standby.

Hi Sylvia, happy baking! (Lucky you to have all those gorgeous lemons.)

Hi Peter, a large slice for you as well!

Gretchen Noelle said...

I really wish I had a morning tea to bake for...how fun!!!