Saturday, March 8, 2008

International Women's Day - Lemon Semifreddo with Limoncello Syrup


Zorra at Kochtopf and Fiordisale are hosting a blogging event for International Women's Day today, 8 March 2008. To participate, Zorra and Fiordisale have asked us to make a yellow dish. The yellow represents the colour of mimosa (wattle) flowers, which are given as a sign of respect and an expression of solidarity with women in their support for oppressed women worldwide.


International Women's Day


For this event, I have made lemon semifreddo with limoncello syrup from the March 2008 edition of
Delicious magazine. The recipe is by Margaret River Providore in Willyabrup, Western Australia.


I can honestly say that this is one of the most delicious things that I have ever made. It is absolutely devine. If you make it, do not skip the limoncello syrup - this really makes the dessert.

The recipe is as follows:


for the semifreddo:

1/2 cup sugar
zest of 1 lemon
1/3 cup lemon juice
4 egg yolks
250ml pouring cream

for the syrup:

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup vodka
zest of one lemon
100ml lemon juice

To make the semifreddo, place the sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice for the semifreddo in a saucepan and heat it, stirring continuously, until it develops a syrup-like consistency (~ 10 minutes). Remove from the heat.

Beat the egg yolks in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer until "fluffy", then while the motor on the mixer is still running, pour the syrup-like mixture into the yolks, and continue beating for aorund 10 minutes until cool.


Whip the cream to soft peak stage, then fold int the egg yolk mixture. Spoon the mixture into 4 dariole moulds lined with cling film, cover the tops of the moulds with more cling film, and freeze for a minimum of four hours.


To make the limoncello syrup, put the sugar, vodka, lemon juice and zest into a suacepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes until thickened into a syrup, then remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.


When serving the semifreddo, place each unmoulded semifreddo on a plate and pour over some limoncello syrup.


This is a smooth, silky, very adult dessert, which I would gladly make again anytime. The best part of it is that I have three more of these babies in the freezer ...



Do check Zorra's and Fiordisale's sites for the roundup of other dishes celebrating International Women's Day.


Let's celebrate great women everywhere!

21 comments:

Peter M said...

Oooh, I've yet to make one these. This must have made for a refreshing dessert withe lemon.

Pixie said...

I could have a large spoonful right now!

Anonymous said...

Just the name of this sends me into a yum yum coma.

Rosie said...

Bravo a great entry for a this event adding limoncello syrup to your lemon semifreddo: ooohh just divine fresh flavours Cakelaw.

I am posting my entry tomorrow can’t wait to celebrate the great women’s day too!

Rosie x

Cakespy said...

What a delicious way to celebrate being a woman! Screw you, Mr. Cakespy, this one is all mine.

Thistlemoon said...

Ohhh Yeahhhhh! I love semifreddo in all its flavors! This looks wonderfully creamy and delicious! my mouth is pukering just thinking about all the lemony goodness!

Nora B. said...

Hello! Thanks for dropping by my blog and the advice about flour. I'll have a look at Woollies. Can you believe it that during my last trip to Singapore (Jan this year), I actually picked up a packet of cake flour? I must be psychic! ;-)

I usually find semifreddo a bit boring (I am also one of those people who find mousse boring), but yours can definitely make me change my mind! the flavours sounds perfect and the limoncello syrup is a great idea. We make our own limoncello a couple of times a year or whenever we get requests using this recipe:
http://italianintheus.blogspot.
com/2007/06/limoncello.html

Love you blog, will have to browse through your archives now :-)

Nora

Anonymous said...

i *love* semifreddo, the texture is so dreamy, and i love lemon desserts. and you can't go wrong with limoncello in my book - maybe this year will be the year i finally make my own batch!

i'm loving this yellow-themed challenge.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Peter, the lemon rally balances the sweetness, and it is altogether just too devine.

Hi Pixie, I would love to send one to you - just a notorious melter though.

LOL Maryann - this is a great recipe from the guys in WA.

Thanks Rosie - I am looking forward to seeing your cake.

Amen Cakespy!

Hi Jenn, the lemon is just perfect to balance the cream and sugar.

Hi Nora, that's great about the cake flour. I willl have to try making my own limoncello- I have the vodka ;)

Thanks Michelle. I think this a great theme too.

adele said...

Hello,

Thanks for stopping by!

This looks lovely - just the thing for when the weather turns warmer over here. :)

zorra said...

Yummie, meets exactly my taste!

Thank you for your participation in IWD.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Adele, defintiely wait til a hot summer's afternoon - perfect for then.

Hi Zorra, thanks to you and Fiorisale for organising! I look forward to seeing all of those yellow dishes.

Finla said...

Yumm that is what i call a dessert to dye for just delicious

Mary said...

Oh I love limoncello! If we weren't burried in snow right now and trying to stay warm I think I would make this tonight! I guess I'll wait 'till it's warmer.

Susan @ SGCC said...

This looks wonderful! I still have some Meyer lemons in the fridge that would work so well with this.

Cakelaw said...

LOL Happy Cook - absolutely!

Hi Mary, hope that warmer weather comes your way soon.

Thanks Susan - this owuld be a terrific way to use up some of those lemons. And if you hav leftover sauce, like me, it's great to top ordinary icecream, cakes etc - yum!

Gretchen Noelle said...

This looks just delicious to me!!

Lien said...

Thanks for dropping by! This limoncello semifreddo looks good.
I have a few bottles in the cupboard, so I'll think it's a good idea to take them out :-)))
I think I would take about 160 ml limoncello and about 3/4 cup sugar (because there is also sugar in the limoncello itself)? Would that be about right?

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Gretchen!

Thanks Lien - that sounds about right to me. Good luck, nd I'd love to hear how it goes.

skoraq cooks said...

Wow. Yum, yum, yum :-D

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Jo - the syrup is to die for.