Thursday, February 28, 2008

Meme - 5 Things About Me


This is another Meme post, so I thought that a good way to kick things off would be to give you a vague idea of what I look like. The photograph above is of me at Noosa, Queensland where I was attending a conference late last year.

Gretchen from
Canela & Comino has tagged me for another Meme - this time, on "5 Things About Me". The rules of this Meme are as follows:

1. Link to your tagger and post these rules.

2. Share 5 facts about yourself.

3. Tag 5 people at the end of your post and list their names (linking to them).

4. Let them know they've been tagged by leaving a comment at their Blogs.

When I first read this Meme, I initially panicked, because I couldn't think of 5 interesting things about me. However, once I thought a little more, I came up with the following facts:

1. The name of my hometown is derived from the Aboriginal word for "swamp". Does this make me a swamp creature?!?

2. As a child, I refused to eat my veges, and my mother wisely gave up trying to make me. Only when I left home to live at college, where you either ate your veges or starved, did I discover the diverse and wonderful flavours of vegetables.

3. I am the co-author of two legal texts. If you need a cure for insomnia, you may borrow them from me.

4. My favourite movie of all time is Casablanca. The performances, the script, the sets and the costumes (presumably high fashion at the time) are all wonderful. In particular, I love the rapid-fire wit that is exchanged between Rick Blaine and Captain Renault.

5. I do not own a car. In Australia, where cars are worshipped, this is regarded as strange, and I am constantly having to defend myself about this. However, it is common sense in my situation - I live within walking distance of everything I need, there is terrific public transport almost at my doorstep, it is cheap, clean and green, and I get great exercise without having to go out of my way, which allows me to eat more of my own cooking ;)


I am tagging the following fellow bloggers for this Meme (again, apologies if you have already done this one or if memes are just not your thing):

1. Ann at Redacted Recipes

2. Browners & Cowie from Around Britain with a Paunch

3. Gay of A Scientist in the Kitchen

4. Gail from Pacific Outpost

5. Happy Cook from My Kitchen Treasures

14 comments:

Peter M said...

Thanks for the photo...I do like putting a face to the blogger.

Pixie said...

Aww it's nice to 'meet' you and 'see' you. I actually have family in Melbourne- cousins, aunts and uncles. My fondest memories as a child was taking a flight over to Australia with my dad- going to the zoo, seeing koalas and kangaroos and my first go at horsebackriding. (you would think I was doing the meme) ;)

Anonymous said...

How fun to read more about you! I will keep your tag in my back pocket for a rainy day... I've been tagged three times this week and actually already posted a response to the same meme a few months ago. Still, you never know, it may come in handy next time I no recipe to post about! :-)

Gretchen Noelle said...

Thanks so much for joining in the fun swamp creature, er, I mean cakelaw! Haha! I loved your answers! Too fun! I have no car either here in Peru, so I can totally relate!

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's so nice to get to know you a bit more! You're not missing much on having a car- save gas! And you love Casablanca! Join the club!
BTW- our first cooking video is up!

Cindy said...

Hooray, another non-car-owner! We're similarly lucky to live within walking, cycling or tramming distance of everything we like in Melbourne. Actually, I find myself having to defend myself a little less often here than I did when I lived in Brisbane.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Peter, I loved the Behind the Apron project from Lucillian Delights last year when I got to see the faces of some of my favourite bloggers - so thought it was time for a photo of me.

Thanks Pixie. I am yet to try horse riding, so you are way ahead of me on that.

Hi Ann, 'pologies for that - it's hard to keep track of who has done what.

Thanks Gretchen, glad you enjoyed it.

Hi T&D, Yay - more Casablanca fans! My friends think I'm dotty for loving a movie that is 65 y.o., but it is a timeless classic. I will check out the video.

Anonymous said...

"Casablanca" is a favorite of mine, as well! I love old movies. Other favorites in our household are "Gone With the Wind" and "Captain Blood".

Cakelaw said...

Hi Cindy, I am also ex-Brisvegas, and know what you mean. That said, the public transport in Brisbane is terrible!

Hi Gail, I love old movies in general too, especially those song and dance numbers with Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly et al.

Browners said...

This should be great fun! Cowie and I will do the honours when we get a chance. How exciting!

Thanks!

Finla said...

Now i know how you look and know more about you.
Thankyou for tagging me. I have donne the meme few months back.
I use lot of time public trnsport too. Especially the train, if you go by car here mostly one is in the traffic jam, so i prefer the train

Rosie said...

awe a lovely photo and a great read too!

Rosie x

Anonymous said...

Good for you!
I *wish* I didn't own a car!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Browners, I look forward to reading your answers.

Thanks Happy Cook - I will check back to see what you said!

Shucks,thanks Rosie.

Hi Carrie - it is cheaper without one, and in my case I really don't need one.