Saturday, February 16, 2008

A fragrant dish - lamb tagine


Once again, I am posting about a savoury dish that I found on another blog. This time, I made a delicious looking lamb tagine from Antonia at Food, Glorious Food, who in turn obtained it from her friend Joni. When Antonia mentioned that she hates Moroccan food (primarily because she is repulsed by fruit and meat together), but that she loved this tagine so much that not only did she eat it, but she made it for herself, I was sold! And I wasn't disappointed when I tried it myself.

You will find the recipe for this tagine here. It contains lamb, dried apricots, canned tomatoes, garlic, onion and a blend of spices similar to Ras el Hanout (which is what I actually used instead), and is garnished with coriander. I served mine with boiled rice, and like Antonia, I really enjoyed it. I would definitely make this tagine again (unlike the fairly lacklustre lamb tagine I had made the week before from a Moroccan cookbook).

Thanks to Antonia (and Joni!) for this recipe.

8 comments:

Peter M said...

It seems that many are discovering foods from the other side of the Mediterranean (N Africa), including myself.

This tajine sounds wonderful and the aromas must have awoken your neighbors too!

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Peter. It may really have awoken them - I received a phone call just as I was starting this, and because it was a long call and this needs to cook for 2 hours in the oven, I finished cooking it at
5 to 1 in the morning!!!!!!!! (So I didn't get to eat it until today.)

Anonymous said...

Wow, this looks really yummy! Mixing the flavours of apricots and tomatoes just became a must try for me.

Emily said...

I like tagines. Over rice or couscous! I want one of those cool tagine pots that you cook it in.

Ivy said...

This looks great and I love the combination of meat with fruit. I followed your link over to Antonia's and I am convinced that this is a dish to try soon. Thanks very much for posting about it.

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Lore - each has a contrasting sweetness that complements the other in this dish. I highly recommend this recipe.

Hi Emiline, I am with you - tagines look so cool, and I would love to get one. (I used the much less romantic cast iron skillet here.)

Abitofafoodie said...

So glad that you tried and enjoyed this recipe! I'm definately planning to make it again sometime soon.

Cakelaw said...

Thanks again Antonia for sharing this gem of a recipe.