Friday, February 29, 2008

Blog Party #31 - Fried Food Frenzy!


Stephanie of Dispensing Happiness is hosting yet another Blog Party - this time, the theme is Fried Food Frenzy! This is one event where you can find your inner Elvis and bring your favourite mini fried food to the party, together with a beverage.

I have chosen a relatively low cal option - mini vegetable fritters made from a recipe by Michelle Trute, as featured in the first Cooking with Conscience book.

You can see from the photo that the more fritters I made, the darker they became - presumably because the pan became hotter. I would not say that these fritters were exciting, and I think that they would benefit enormously from the addition of both seasoning and cheese. However, they tasted fine, although a little bland, and are a good way to use up some leftover veg at your next party.

To make these fritters, you need:

220g sifted self raising flour
enough skim milk to turn the flour into batter
(Michelle says 1 cup, I say almost 2 cups)

1 egg white
1 diced onion
150g tinned corn kernels
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup grated zucchini

Combine the milk and flour in a large bowl to form a batter of dropping consistency, then stir in the remaining ingredients until well combined. (I suggest adding salt and pepper to taste at this stage, and maybe some grated cheese - I found the end result a little bland.) Cook the batter in egg rings in a lightly oiled frypan, flipping the fritters to cook the other side when bubbles start appearing on the top. Drain on greaseproof paper.

Now, if I liked Bloody Marys, I think that that would make a perfect accompaniment to these fritters. However, being a classy kind of gal, I prefer a Cosmopolitan served in an elegant martini glass with my fritters:



The Blog Party roundup can be viewed here.

10 comments:

Peter M said...

I like savory cakes...great as a component of a main also.

Gretchen Noelle said...

These fritters sound rather tasty! Great idea!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Is there anything more fun to say than "fritters"? Oh, yum!

Finla said...

I love anything with vodka :-))))
It is friday evening and i had planned to have a drink with hubby and some snack as our daughter is having a party in her school and we will be waiting up for her to be back home after the party, but i have this headache for two days i thought i will kepp of drinks :-(((

Rosie said...

Love your little fritters and I bet they tasted wonderful. Oh and yes please I'll have a bloody mary :)

Great entry..

Rosie x

Cakespy said...

Oh man...wish I could be there! My favorite fried food right now--FRIED BRUSSELS SPROUTS. Sounds nasty, but so so so good! Your fritters look killer.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Peter, that is probably how these fritters will be used up - as an accompaniemnt to a main.

Thanks Gretechen, they were definitely better after seasoning. A dipping sauce like soy would also be good with these.

Hi Susan, "fritter" is a cool word!

Hi Happy Cook, I know what you are sayiong. However, this Cosmo hit the spot for me last night!

Thanks Rosie - give me a minute while I fix you that drink ;)

LOL Cakespy - fried brussels sprouts is a new one to me, but maybe I should give it a whirl!

Emily said...

Ooh, I feel like I'm watching sex and the city.
Drinks and fried appetizers are just about my favorite food.

Cakelaw said...

Aahh, Sex in the City - those were the days ...

Unknown said...

greetings from hong kong! sharing my indonesian corn fritters recipe with you :)

http://mochachocolatarita.blogspot.com/2008/02/shocking-corn-fritters-bakwan-jagung.html