Friday, January 25, 2008

Tasty lunchtime pasta


This week's pasta dish is from Jamie's Dinners, and has the unattractive title of "working girl's pasta". I am a solicitor, but not of that variety, so I have renamed it "Tasty lunchtime pasta". This describes it perfectly - I made it for lunch, and it's tasty!

There is a fair bit of scratching around to do as preparation for this dish, as you have to peel and crush garlic, chop tomatoes finely, deseed and chop a chilli, pit and chop olives, and zest and juice a lemon. For an impatient person like me who is trying to do a thousand things at once in the evenings, this blocks my flow a little. However, if you can overlook that, the end result is really delicious.

In a nutshell, you put 400g of dried penne on to cook. While that is bubbling away, you put some oil in a frypan, add 8 anchovies, let them melt, then throw in some capers, finely chopped olives (around 10), the chopped chilli, 5 small tomatoes (finely chopped), 2 crushed garlic cloves, the juice and zest of a lemon and 300g drained tinned tuna, and allow it to bubble away until everything is heated through. Once the pasta has cooked, drain it, reserving some of the cooking water, toss the hot pasta through the sauce, add a bit of the reserved cooking water if necessary to keep the pasta and sauce loose, and serve.

I divided this into 5 servings to take to work, and froze those which I didn't need immediately.

4 comments:

Rosie said...

I did laugh at Jamie's title of this dish!! I do think your title is more appt lol I love pasta, which makes a quick and tasty meal and this dish of yours looks delicious :)

Rosie x

Peter M said...

Anchovies by themselves, Blech! But, when part if other ingredient, they are integral for so many dishes, like this one.

Thistlemoon said...

This sounds amazingly good! I love anchovies! and with lemon, you just can't beat it!

Cakelaw said...

Thanks Rosie - I think my title is a little more subtle!

Agreed Peter - anchovies alone are too overpowering, but add great flavour to dishes like pasta and pizza.

Thanks Jenn - fish and lemon is a great combo.