Sunday, June 17, 2007

Apple, sultana and orange muffins

I like to bake muffins to take to work for morning tea, as I have previously stated, because they are easy, filling and delicious. This week, I have baked apple, sultana and orange muffins, an "old faithful" that I make quite often. They are relatively low in fat, which is easy on my waistline!


The recipe originally didn't contain orange - I added that because I love a bit of zing to my food, although as a child I would have screwed up my nose at anything containing peel and refused to eat it! The zest also gives the muffins a lovely aroma as they are baking and while they are still warm - making them irresistable.

The recipe for these muffins is as follows:

2 cups self raising flour, sifted
100g brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
200g pie apple
1/4 cup sultanas
zest of 1 orange
100g melted butter or margarine (low fat is OK)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk

Turn on oven to 200 degrees Celcius. Spray a 12 hole muffin tin lightly with oil.

Combine flour, cinnamon and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Add apple, sultanas and zest and mix through. Finally, add egg, butter and buttermilk and mix until just combined. Spoon mixture into muffin tin (fill holes approximately two thirds full) and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top and a skewer comes out clean. (The first time I made these muffins using an unfamiliar and powerful oven when I was living in Sydney, I didn't check on them, and they were truly cremated!!)

These muffins are especially good when served warm, fresh out of the oven, with a little icecream or Greek yoghurt on the side. Mmmmm ....

No comments: